Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Childhood comics

I wonder if any of you remember the funnies that you read when you were a kid? Aside from the Bazooka Joe bubblegum strips of course.

I remember reading quite a bit of filipino comics though I don't remember the titles or the publications. I do remember My Little Pupung - our household help would buy em and pass them off to me.

I also remember the story of the Snake People - triplets born with snake properties but only Aleli, the girl who grew up in poverty was the 'good guy'. The other two, a boy and a girl, were kinda evil. It was all about them figuring out who they were, etc. etc.

I remember how well drawn these comics were though - it was relatively impressive in retrospect despite being printed on newsprint. There was sex, violence, comedy, all the stuff that people usually see in US comics, plus it was all written in filipino. I don't see how come we don't seem to have as strong a history in comics as the US does.

It makes me wonder where all these publications and people have gone.

No comments: